A toy workshop was held on May 13, 2017 at the shop at the CLUB FOR BOYS. The weather was fantastic, allowing us to use routers and sanders outside.
Preparation for the Walk for Wishes Event on May 20, 2017: We will bring blank unfinished wooden toy vans for kids to color with crayons. When the kids are finished coloring, we will install wheels on each toy.
A. Preparing the blanks, also known as Give Away Vans (GAVs): Drill/Router/Sand Approximately 200 GAVs were prepared today for the event.
B. Build a Car Making Kit for the Walk for Wishes Event - Items needed for this event:1. trifold display
2. wooden van blanks
3. wheel presses (2)
4. jigs and spacers
5. glue and glue injectors and large paper clips and glue bottle holders
6. axle pegs
8. small hammers (2)
9. sample decorated/wheeled vans
10. Windex and paper towels to clean tables
11. Stools – two – about the size of a long box for kids to stand on, maybe 6 to 8 inches high x 12 deep x 24 long
12. Rags plus water – to clean up glue spills on hands etc
13. Clamps – at least two for emergency repairs
14. Small trash can or kitchen size garbage bags
15. Tray box (flats from Sams) for crayons
16. “FREE” sign
C. Other Toy Program Activities today included:
- Helicopters - assembly line
- Drilling windows in Helicopters
- Drilling rotor Holes in Helicopters
- Sanding - toys by hand after sealed
- Scroll sawing windows in Vans
- Installing wheels on toys
- Inventory of completed toys: count/label/record/box up
- Equipment maintenance
Lon Gose reworked two of the Club for Boys' workbenches with new tops and new wheels for easy moving/reconfiguration of the shop.
Supplies for the Workshop
Helicopters - drilled for ROTORS.
Wheel Assembly Line - Harley and Paul
Slick new jigs (2) made by Rick W to make it easier to drill the 7/32" axle holes in toys.
The Inside Line - Drilling/ Scroll Sawing
The Outside Line - Sanding/Routering
Toys packaged for Inventory today: 195.
CClick on the link below to learn more about the Rapid City Woodworkers Association activities on the main page of the website: